Friday, May 11, 2007

Your mother should know

Happy Mother's Day!

Mother's day is one on those love it or hate it holidays. I'm sure its awful to have to endure the day if you have lost your mother or by choice or fate are unable to be a mother. I suppose there are all kinds of reasons to dread a holiday manufactured by a card company to make money. I personally have to gear myself up for a week in order to bring my expectations down to zero so that I am not dissappointed. I hate being so shallow. The ironic fact is if I could have my hearts desire on Mother's day it would be to spend the day alone. With a book. Or the Lord of the Rings trilogy on a loop. The truth is, you can't get away. On the rare occasion that I find myself enjoying some solitude my thoughts eventually slip back into that motherhood nirvana where my kids are all adorable, obediant and kind to each other. Pretty soon I can't wait to get back to them. Five minutes after I return I come crashing down to earth as someone does something to someone else and it was all his fault and etc. etc. That's when I choose to appreciate it. The good the bad and the ugly, besides, the crazier it is the better story it makes when you are visiting around the kitchen table a decade later.

And mom, I get it now.

No comments: