Friday, May 11, 2007

No one was hurt

So, I had a car accident.

I've been in a few accidents in my life but this time I was the one driving so it was somewhat different. It always amazes me how time nearly crawls to a stop during these situations. It's as if you can fit a lifetime of thoughts into the few seconds between seeing the unavoidable and then making contact. My life did not flash before my eyes, thankfully. I have felt that before and don't wish to experience it again. No, this time I just analyzed the situation as it unfolded before me. "Look at that car turning right in front of me. Why is that car doing that? There's not enough time for that car to get out of my way. Wow, I think I'll slam on the brakes. This huge van is not going to stop before I hit that car. Come on little car if you gun it you might make it, come on." Bang!

Here's the thing, though. I had to drive probably four blocks ahead before I could turn and come back to the scene. The lady I hit called it in as a hit and run. Ha Ha. There was no way I was going to sit in rush hour traffic when my car was perfectly drivable. The sad thing about it is I think the lady I hit expected to be treated as the victim when she called the police, but, she is the one who ended up getting the ticket for making an improper turn. The officer who assisted us assured my that I wasn't at fault. I still have guilt though because when it comes down to it I'm the one who hit her and that feels yucky. Complicating matters is the fact that she had her little boy in the car and was taking him to the doctor because he was sick. I feel about as tall as the period at the end of this sentence. I'm praying for her, for her boy, for me and for the insurance company. When unpleasant things like this happen I just want to get it over with and move on. I wish I was deeper than that and could find the blessing in it somehow. Maybe in time.

Ok, now I've got that off my chest.

No comments: