Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Don't make me choose

I am grateful that it is God that chooses which children should belong to us. Of course this is easy for me to say because my own children are darn near "perfect". I've never had thoughts about giving them back.

Books, on the other hand are an entirely different animal. If I find myself at the local Borders Bookstore with two bright shiny gift cards in my hand I recieve no devine intervention. No backlit books with angelic choruses directing me to this, that or the other book. I have friends who would tell me that, yes God will choose your books for you and of course far be it from me to limit God. I know he would do it. But, is it necessary for God to micromanage in this particular scenario?

The problem is, the choice is too immense. I am anti-choice.

Complicating matters is the guilt I feel over actually purchasing a book. I mean, isn't the Library just down the street?

You will be happy to know that I held my breath, dove in headfirst, and am now the proud owner of three new books.

How to be Alone: Essays by Jonathan Franzen
Son of a Witch by Gregory Maguire
I'm Just Here For the Food by Alton Brown

And I still have $12.80 left on one card. Bonus!?

No comments: