Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Yadda yadda

Remember the Seinfeld episode where they yadda yadda sex? I'm there. Not my own. Certainly not. But, in films, in books, in music, even political commentary, could I please get a yadda here and there in place of the thrusting, moaning and general all around vulgar language. Yes we are all grown up and it's a fact of life and people do have casual sex and use vulgar language. It's not even particularly shocking or edgy any more. In fact, I'm just.......bored. Isn't it out of our culture's system yet? Can't we get back to where a good story is enough? A good story using elevated, even poetic, language? No? It's got to be out there somewhere, literature, music, or film that doesn't depict honest love by forcing me to experience the mechanics of reproduction. Here is how I recognize such a beast: I imagine watching, reading or listening with my children or with my parents. If I can keep from cringing, that's it. Can someone tell me where it is?

No comments: