Thursday, February 28, 2008

R.I.P. William F. Buckley

Last night I turned on Charlie Rose and observed that he was doing a retrospective of William F. Buckley interviews. Uh Oh, I thought, he must have died. I sent the Sixteen-Year-Old to google it for me and sure enough.

I will miss him. I loved to watch him talk. Honestly most of what he said sailed right over my head but watching him speak: his mannerisms, his inflections, his insanely brilliant vocabulary, fascinated me. So here's to a bastion of conservatism in a time when significant change seems afoot. We've lost a thoughtful speaker, writer and conversationalist and are left in a world where feeling now trumps everything and entertainment is what passes for news. Sigh. I think I'll make a trip to the library for one of his books before I start to forget.

No comments: