Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Belief

Recently I discovered that someone I had assumed was a believer, was, in fact, not. By believer, I mean believer in God. I was shocked by this revelation because this person is very, very active in church. I asked myself, "What is my responsibility here?" And I had no answer for myself. I think about it a lot because my family runs the gamut of belief from hellfire and brimstone to agnostic, but I have never had much success influencing anyone one way or another. If anyone has an answer feel free to enlighten me.

The fact that a person can turn from one belief to another fascinates and moves me. My own story is very anti-climatic. I always believed in God, which I attribute to my mom. My relationship with Jesus began at a later time but it was basically a move from a belief to a relationship. One of my brothers, on the other hand, had a very dramatic conversion. I once witnessed a guy become a believer while watching the northern lights. He may or may not have been drinking though, and I was only acquainted with him for that one summer so I'm not sure if that one stuck. It would have been nice if I'd been in a position to point him in a direction that would strengthen his faith, but I was seeking the very thing at that time. Now that I am in a position to do so I am very nearly as clueless as I was back then. I have ideas, but again, few results. So what is it that moves a person from non-belief to belief? I mean, I know it is the conviction of the Holy Spirit but I would love to know from people, what or who convinced them to listen. And what did that look like?

2 comments:

Shalee said...

I don't know Susan. My belief occurred much like yours.

Watching The Girl put on Christ, I know that she's a newbie. I can't say why, but I know that I'm not surprised at her response because it's what we've been teaching her - to accept who Jesus is and to believe what he's done. It doesn't take a huge, miraculous time to convert when all the encouragement, support and teachings are present.

I think the best we can do is to have our answer at the ready as to why we make the choice we do - why we believe and also to live our lives as proof of that belief. That's the harder part to the equation to me. But with God, all things are possible.

adidas nmd said...

http://www.uggoutlet.uk
nike air huarache
michael kors bags
kobe 9
kobe shoes
kyrie irving shoes
nike kyrie 3
nike zoom
new england patriots jerseys
yeezy boost