Friday, April 20, 2007

Inward and Outward

People do some crazy things. I was directed to this article via another blog this morning and it's hit me like a ton of bricks. Here is a man committing an insanely selfless act, that will likely end in his death. Compare that to an insanely selfish act committed earlier this week that did end in the death of the instigator and so many other innocent souls.

Compare and Contrast.
  • Neither of them knows especially well those for whom they are committing these acts.
  • Both are motivated by the desire to draw attention to injustice, one very real injustice and the other mainly perceived.
  • Both are separated\isolated from friends and family.
  • One gets the attention of a voracious media beast only too willing to feed on the tragedy of others.
  • One gets a lonely little story in the Washington Post. At least that's all that came up on Google news.

What if the media went after this story as aggressively as they do the VT shooting story. Giving it the attention of the Anna Nicole story, even, would be a start.

I am humbled and confused by a fellow human in this day and age who would think so far outside himself. Oh God, that I would remember him next time I am fretting over my own inward struggles.

1 comment:

HeyJules said...

That just about humbled me right into the floor. Thanks for leading me to it.